I had so much fun putting together this recipe for Thunderbird Bar. They are a local Austin company who specializes in creating the most wonderfully delicious REAL FOOD bars. They were founded, and still made by endurance athletes who wanted real food for pure energy but truly for anyone looking for a whole foods based alternative to “energy” bars (this includes myself and every single person I know) — they are nutrient dense, plant-based goodness!
Yes, I made my muffins with these bars but they are not the secret ingredient.
I was unsure how they would turn out given I have never baked with these bars before but they turned out perfectly moist, crisp on the outside, fluffy and soft on the inside, and sweetened just enough to make them an awesome breakfast alternative or mid-afternoon snack.
The bar I used was the Pecan + Goji + Pistachio Bar and here are the ingredients:
Dates, Pecans, Almonds, Pecan Butter, Berry Mix (Golden Berries, Goji Berries, Mulberries), Pistachios, Pecan Meal, and Himalayan Sea Salt. (that’s it!! how freakin’ awesome to have such clean ingredients & still so super delicious!)
Goji berries are a super fruit that are rich in antioxidants and beta-carotene (a pigment found in plants and fruits) which helps promote healthy skin. These berries provide a powerful immune system boost & a sense of wellbeing and optimism – they are known as the “happy berry.”
Pecan nuts contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B, and E, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. USDA research also shows that pecans are the most antioxidant rich tree nut and rank among the top 15 foods with the highest levels of antioxidants.
Pistachios contain fewer calories and more potassium and vitamin K per serving than any other nut.
The bar alone provides a powerhouse of nutrients even before I added any of my speciality Health Coach additions.
I started with 2 cups of almond flour, 3 eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a big bowl.
In a blender, I mixed the following:
- 2 Pecan + Goji + Pistachio Thunderbird bars (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- ¼ cup Organic Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Raw, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
- The secret ingredient –> 1 loosely packed cup of fresh spinach (yes, your batter will be green!)
Blend until smooth and uniform, about 30 – 60 seconds in a high-powered blender.
Combine contents of the blender into your bowl of almond flour, eggs, and baking soda – mix thoroughly.
Spread evenly in muffin tins & top with sliced almonds and/or shredded coconut.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Smile, Enjoy, & Share with your friends!
- 2 Pecan + Goji + Pistachio Thunderbird Bars (chopped)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 loosely packed cup of fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure, organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix almond flour, eggs, and baking soda.
- In a blender, blend Thunderbird Bars, spinach, coconut oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and vanilla.
- Combine contents of the blender into your large bowl with the almond flour and mix thoroughly.
- Spread in muffin tins and top with sliced almonds and/or shredded coconut.
- Bake for 25 minutes.