One of the blogs that I love & follow is Mark’s Daily Apple.
Mark Sisson is the author of Primal Blueprint and former elite endurance athlete who now lives on the sunny California coast teaching the masses about Primal living.
His teachings in a nutshell are:
- Fresh, nutrient dense, high antioxidant, preferably locally grown/naturally raised food choices
- Daily activity – whether it’s the gym or a walk along the beach, it all counts
- Plenty of quality sleep, sun exposure, play, and intellectual stimulation
- Avoid all sweets and sweetened beverages. Once you break free, they lose their allure
- Time for fun – don’t take anything too seriously
- Ethical behavior – because what goes around comes around
- Taking responsibility for yourself and your life – openness to new things and ideas
Last week, he posted a recipe for a Primal Egg Coffee Frappe that I couldn’t wait to try!
When time permits, I often start my mornings with Bulletproof coffee and was looking for a way to switch it up a bit.
I made a couple updates to the recipe, and here are the ingredients: (click here for the original post)
- 5 ounces coffee, double strength* (use twice the amount of ground coffee you would normally use for 5 oz water) (150 ml)
- 3 pastured eggs, whole
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon grass-fed whey protein
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (a pinch)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar** (a pinch)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups ice (a large handful)
- Let the coffee cool slightly, then whisk in the eggs. Cool in freezer for about 10 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
- While the coffee is chilling, combine honey, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, cream of tartar, coconut milk and ice in the blender.
- Blend until ice is broken down into small pieces.
- Pour the chilled Primal egg coffee into the blender. Blend again until the mixture is smooth & creamy.
Like I said, this is not my original recipe but I did make a few updates to suit it to my personal preferences – experiment and see what works best for you!!